Our memory is amazing, we remember things through the associations we make with new information. But, probably, such a situation happened to everyone when you forgot the word, name, name, designation. The most irritating thing is that the phrase "spins on the tongue", but some block of the psyche or memory prevents it from being remembered. In order not to make a long pause, we resort to the help of substitute words: “how is it”, “so to speak”, “the same one”. In the world of science, this concept is called lethology. This is the inability to sequentially, along the chain, find the word in memory.
Can you deal with your forgetfulness? What is – Is it just absent-mindedness or an obvious health problem? This will tell estet-portal.com.
The words – why does memory fail
The main psychological causes of forgetfulness are the moment when stressful situations occur in a person's life, a person does not get along with himself, life seems to him a difficult and impassable test.
Subscribe to our page on Instagram!
There are several theories according to which our brain forgets words and information:
• in memory, memories are superimposed on each other, when new information arrives, the old is forced out, or vice versa – the previous address of the house will still for a long time force out the new one from your memory;
• disappearance of information from long-term memory – according to researchers, our brain itself gets rid of unnecessary information;
• another theory, on the contrary, says that we do not forget anything, but simply do not extract the necessary information, memory needs a hint to pull out information, and this can be a taste, a smell, a place, people;
• there is a theory that how quickly we remember a word,
It is necessary to distinguish between simple forgetfulness of words and serious problems with memory. Normal forgetfulness and distraction is most likely caused by stress, depression, or recent experiences. If you can’t remember the name of your favorite singer, but when you hear his name, you immediately remember, then you shouldn’t worry – memory impairment is systemic. But if the violations are of a larger nature: you forget where you are, do not remember the names of your relatives, or what you did 5 minutes ago, then this is a serious reason
to turn to specialists.
The words – main symptoms of memory failure
• perhaps your memory is impaired due to age. The aging process is inevitable, and at 60 you don’t remember everything as well as at 20, this is obvious. So if you can't remember someone's name when you're older, chances are you just need to be reminded;• sometimes, due to the physical and moral workload at work, you can forget, for example, to go to the store after work. It is impossible to keep everything under control, so slow down a bit and rest;
• the actions familiar to us are so brought to automaticity that we simply forget whether we turned off the stove or iron, closed the front door, or fed the cat. This is how our brain saves energy;
• you may be taking medications that tend to act on memory, carefully study the instructions;
Subscribe to our page on
• in your family there were cases of dementia – Alzheimer's disease occurs more often after 65, but in 10% it appears at an earlier age. If you notice memory lapses, disorientation in space, loss in time, then you should contact a specialist. If the disease is detected at an early stage, it will be easier to cope and live with it. In the world every day, scientists discover new types of treatment;
• Interruptions in the work of memory can occur in connection with injuries in which there was an effect on the brain. If you hit your head seriously, it's best to see a doctor;
• serious memory impairment also occurs due to hemorrhages, oncology. But at the same time, not only memory suffers, but a whole set of abilities.
If, passing by a familiar person, you did not remember his name or forgot to pick up your coat from the dry-cleaner, then you should not run to the doctor, perhaps you just need a vacation.
If something is forgotten and cannot be remembered at all, this is already a cause for concern and it is better to get checked by a specialist.
More useful information on our channel in
Modern life without memory lapses